Heart surgery is a life-changing event for your senior. This procedure can address damage and challenges that can preserve your parent’s functioning and even prolong their life.
It is a major surgery, however, and the average patient will require approximately 6 to 8 weeks of initial recovery followed by up to a year of further rehabilitation and recovery. The initial days and weeks after their surgery are often the most challenging and it is very important that they receive dedicated care to help them manage their recovery, minimize risks, and move forward toward a stronger, healthier lifestyle.
Use these tips to help you simplify care after your parent’s heart surgery:
- Prepare and freeze a variety of healthy meals so all your parent has to do is heat them up and enjoy. This will not only ease the burden of preparing meals but will also help them to get the proper nutrition during recovery. Freeze individual servings in heatable, disposable containers for the greatest ease.
- Invest in additional sets of bedding so that your parent can enjoy fresh, clean bedding more frequently without having to do laundry so often.
- Consider increasing senior care so that your parent has support for tasks such as cleaning and bathing.
- Create a schedule for your parent that includes when they need to take their medications, when to rest, when to get in some physical activity, and other tasks. This will help them to feel structured and reduce stress.
- Get in touch with friends and family members who would be willing to help and divide up tasks so that your parent always has access to support and assistance.
How can senior care help?
Starting senior care can be a fantastic choice to help your elderly parent enjoy the highest quality of life possible as they age in place. A senior home care services provider can be with your parent on a customized schedule to ensure that they have access to the care, support, and assistance that they need. This means that they are able to manage their needs and challenges in the ways that are right for them.
Through a set of highly personalized services, this care provider can help your parent to stay healthy, happy, safe, and comfortable while also pursuing a lifestyle that is as active, engaged, and independent as possible. As their family caregiver, this can give you tremendous peace of mind knowing that your parent is in good hands both when you are able to be with them and when you are not.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering Home Care Services in Johns Creek, GA, please call the caring staff at Always Care Nursing Services today. Call for Assistance: (404) 266-8773 or (800) 989-7828
Administrator of 3 Florida (Always Care) Home Health Agencies for over Fourteen years.
Always Care of Georgia since 2001
Served as a 1st Lt. In the US Army
Latest posts by Howard Gruensfelder, VP / Administrator (see all)
- It’s Defeat Diabetes Month – What’s the Best Way to Prevent Diabetes? - April 12, 2018
- FAQs About Malnutrition in the Elderly - April 6, 2018
- What Can You Do about Items Your Senior Can’t Keep and Won’t Give Away? - March 29, 2018